||The socioeconomic value of nursing and midwifery: a rapid systematic review of reviews
Studies included in the review
- Bradley PM, Lindsay B (2008) Care delivery and self-management strategies for adults with epilepsy. In: The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2008: Issue 1. Art. No.: CD006244.DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD006244.pub2.
- Brown SA, Grimes DE (1995) A meta-analysis of nurse practitioners and nurse midwives in primary care. Nursing Research 44: 332-339.
- Carter AJ, Chochinov AH (2007) A systematic review of the impact of nurse practitioners on cost, quality of care, satisfaction and wait times in the emergency department. Canadian Journal of Emergency Medical Care 9: 286-295.
- Chapman JL (2004) Systematic review of recent innovations in service provision to improve access to primary care. British Journal of General Practice. 54: 374-381.
- Ciliska D, Mastrilli P, Ploeg J, Hayward S, Brunton G, Underwood J (2001) The effectiveness of home visiting as a delivery strategy for public health nursing interventions to clients in the prenatal and postnatal period: a systematic review. Primary Health Care Research and Development 2: 41-54.
- Curran J, Brooker C (2007) Systematic review of interventions delivered by UK mental health nurses. International Journal of Nursing Studies 44: 479-509.
- Doggett C, Burrett SL, Osborn DA (2005) Home visits during pregnancy and after birth for women with an alcohol or drug problem. In: The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2005: Issue 4. Art. No.: CD004456. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004456.pub2.
- Eicher MR, Marquard S, Aebi S (2006) A nurse is a nurse: a systematic review of the effectiveness of specialised nursing in breast cancer. European Journal of Cancer 42: 3117-3126.
- Elkan R, Kendrick D, Hewitt M, Robinson JJ, Tolley K, Blair M (2000) The effectiveness of domiciliary health visiting: a systematic review of international studies and a selective review of the British literature. Health Technology Assessment 4: 1-339.
- French J, Bilton D, Campbell F (2003) Nurse specialist care for bronchiectasis. In: The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2003: Issue 1. Art. No.: CD004359. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004359.
- Griffiths PD, Edwards ME, Forbes A, Harris RG, Ritchie G (2007) Effectiveness of intermediate care in nursing-led in-patient units. In: The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews¸ 2007: Issue 2. Art. No.: CD002214. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD002214.pub3.
- Halcomb E, Moujalli S, Griffiths R, Davidson P (2007) Effectiveness of general practice nurse interventions in cardiac risk factor reduction among adults. Australia: Joanna Briggs Institute.
- Hatem M, Sandall J, Devane D, Soltani H, Gates S (2008) Midwife-led versus other models of care for childbearing women. In: The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2008: Issue 4. Art. No.: CD004667. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004667.pub2.
- Hodnett ED, Fredericks S (2003) Support during pregnancy for women at increased risk of low birthweight babies. In: The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2003: Issue 3. Art. No.: CD000198. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD000198
- Horrocks S, Anderson E, Salisbury C (2002) Systematic review of whether nurse practitioners working in primary care can provide equivalent care to doctors. British Medical Journal 324: 819-823.
- Latour CH, van der Windt DA, de Jonge P, Riphagen II, de Vos R, Huyse FJ, Stalman WA (2007) Nurse-led case management for ambulatory complex patients in general health care: A systematic review. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 62: 385-395.
- Laurant M, Reeves D, Hermens R, Braspenning J, Grol R, Sibbald B (2004) Substitution of doctors by nurses in primary care. In: The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2004: Issue 4. Art. No.: CD001271. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD001271.pub2.
- Lewis R, Neal RD, Williams NH, France B, Wilkinson C, Hendry M, Russell D, Russell I, Hughes DA, Stuart NS, Weller D (2009) Nurse-led vs. conventional physician-led follow-up for patients with cancer: systematic review. Journal of Advanced Nursing 65:706-723.
- Loveman E, Royle P, Waugh N (2003) Specialist nurses in diabetes mellitus. In: The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2003: Issue 2. Art. No.: CD003286. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003286.
- Meads C, Bradley P, Burls A. (2001) The effectiveness of specific epilepsy services. Health Technology Assessment Group Report 27: 46.
- Mojica WA, Suttorp M J, Sherman SE, Morton SC, Roth EA, Maglione MA (2004) Smoking-cessation interventions by type of provider: a meta-analysis. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 26: 391-401.
- Montgomery DA, Krupa K, Cooke TG (2007) Alternative methods of follow-up in breast cancer: a systematic review of the literature. Journal British of Cancer 96: 1625-1632.
- Page T, Lockwood C, Conroy-Hiller T (2005) Effectiveness of nurse-led cardiac clinics in adult patients with a diagnosis of coronary heart disease. International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare 3: 2-26.
- Ram FS, Wedzicha JA, Wright J, Greenstone M (2004) Hospital at home for patients with acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: systematic review of the evidence. British Medical Journal 329: 315-319.
- Sola I, Thompson EM, Subirana CM, Lopez C, Pascual A (2004) Non-invasive interventions for improving well-being and quality of life in patients with lung cancer. In: The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2004: Issue 4. Art. No.: CD004282. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004282.pub2.
- Smith B, Appleton S, Adams R, Southcott AAMS, Ruffin D (2001) Home care by outreach nursing for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. In: The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2001: Issue 3. Art. No.: CD000994. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD000994.
- Taylor SJC, Candy B, Bryar RM, Ramsay J, Vrijhoef HJM, Esmond G, Wedzicha JA, Griffiths CJ (2005) Effectiveness of innovations in nurse-led chronic disease management for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: systematic review of the evidence. British Medical Journal 331: 485.
- Thomas LH, McColl E, Cullum N, Rousseau N, Soutter J, Steen N (1998) Effect of clinical guidelines in nursing, midwifery, and the therapies: a systematic review of evaluations. Quality in Health Care 7: 183-191.
- Thompson RL, Summerbell CD, Hooper L, Higgins JPT, Little P, Talbot D, Ebrahim S (2003) Dietary advice given by a dietitian versus other health professional or self-help resources to reduce blood cholesterol. In: The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2003: Issue 3. Art. No.: CD001366. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD001366.
- Van Ruth LM, Mistiaen P, Francke AL (2008) Effects of nurse prescribing of medication: a systematic review. Internet Journal of Healthcare Administration 5: 1-31.
- Villar J, Carroli G, Khan-Neelofur D, Piaggio G, lmezoglu AM (2001) Patterns of routine antenatal care for low-risk pregnancy. In: The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2001: Issue 4. Art. No.: CD000934. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD000934.
- Wilson A, Zwart E, Everett, I (2009) The clinical effectiveness of nurse practitioners' management of minor injuries in an adult emergency department: a systematic review. International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare 7: 3-14.
This report should be cited as: Caird J, Rees R, Kavanagh J, Sutcliffe K, Oliver K, Dickson K, Woodman J, Barnett-Page E, Thomas J (2010) The socioeconomic value of nursing and midwifery: a rapid systematic review of reviews. London: EPPI Centre, Social Science Research Unit, Institute of Education, University of London.