Interactive database of DFID programmes relating to the Strategic Vision for Girls and Women and Empowerment and AccountabilityThe UK Department for International Development (DFID) has commissioned Itad, through the e-Pact consortium, to undertake macro evaluations of two of its policy frames, which came into effect in 2011: the Empowerment and Accountability policy frame and the Strategic Vision for Girls and Women. See details here.
To support the two macro evaluations, Itad has compiled this database of all DFID projects relevant to the two policy frames that started after 1 January 2011 or ran until at least 1 January 2013 Please see Itad’s website for information on how the database was compiled.
For DFID, empowerment and accountability means that ‘Poor people have voice in household, community and political decision making, choice through access to services, economic opportunities and information control over their own lives in more stable, transparent and accountable environments’. If a project seeks to contribute to this objective, then it is included in the database.
DFID’s Strategic Vision seeks to empower girls and women, enabling them to have ‘voice, choice and control’:
- Voice (for girls and women), in decision-making in their household, community and country, in politics, business, the media and civil society, through their participation, leadership and collective action;
- Choice to complete education and to benefit from paid work and opportunities to make sufficient income; over whether, when and with whom to have sex, marry and/or have children, ending early and forced marriage;
- Control over their own bodies and mobility, including their safety from violence; over income, productive assets and other resources (including food, water, energy); with equal legal rights and access to justice; and freedom from discriminatory social norms such as female genital mutilation/cutting.
If a project seeks to contribute to these objectives then it is included in the database.
What you can find out from the database
A video showing how to search the database is available here.
If you would like to provide comments on this database or suggest improvements, you may email us here. Unfortunately, we are unable to respond to all emails, but we will read all feedback and seek to make improvements to the database in response to suggestions.
Please note that if you are inactive on this website for 20 minutes or more then the application will time-out. If this happens you will need to re-load the website
This database can be used to search DFID’s portfolio of 529 projects that are relevant to the Empowerment and Accountability policy frame and/ or Strategic Vision. You can explore projects with particular characteristics e.g. they are active in Asia, or they support girls’ and women’s economic empowerment. Or you can look at DFID project documentation to understand individual projects better. The project documentation available in the database is: project business case or project memorandum; project logframe; project annual reviews; project evaluation (where available).
Some common searches have been pre-prepared and are available by selecting the Continue to figures option at the top of this page. Otherwise, the database’s search function allows you to explore all the projects held in the database either by free text or category. Please click on the search tab at the top of the page to explore the data in this way.
On the search tab you can search the database by free text or category. The free text search function allows you to search the database for any word that appears in the project titles or project description.
The function to search the database by category allows you to search for projects in the database for any one or more of the following criteria:
- Start date
- End date
- Country of implementation (one of DFID’s priority countries)
- Context of implementation: low or middle income country
- Context of implementation: fragile country or non-fragile country
- Total budget
- DFID’s contribution to the total budget
- Whether the whole project is relevant to the Empowerment and Accountability or Strategic Vision policy frame or only a component of it
- Which Empowerment and Accountability area the project focuses on
- Which Strategic Vision area the project focuses on
- The project’s latest outcome score
If you would like to have a copy of the dataset in Excel-format, please email us here.