This page contains the findings of systematic reviews undertaken by review groups linked to the EPPI-Centre
The following strategies were tentatively recommended:
- Raising pupils' confidence and motivation and having high expectations of them.
- Having a whole-school commitment to raising attainment.
- Selecting a curriculum reflective of pupils’ backgrounds.
- Ensuring effective school leadership.
- Involving senior management in classroom observation and teaching.
- Incorporating team teaching.
- Securing parental support in school and homework activities.
- Introducing a Foundation Programme in Year 7 at secondary level to foster a culture of learning.
- Using first language and dual language texts in the Numeracy and Literacy Hours.
- Involving bilingual classroom assistants.
1. What strategies can be used by initial teacher training providers, trainees and newly qualified teachers to raise the attainment of pupils from culturally diverse backgrounds? (2004)